The Myth of Perseus and the Medusa

UglyBastard

Administrator
1712318700520.png

Why do man have "mommy issues"? Jung explains this very well in the myth of Perseus and the Medusa.
Medusa is the negative feminine side, represented by the mother's flaws. Perseus needs to kill her, because only by overcoming his mother's fear can he face his father's fear (Kraken), and conquer Andromeda (the real feminine side), and then complete the hero's journey in himself, becoming an integrated man.
Generally, when he is unable to kill his mother, he is overcome (swallowed) by the fear of his father (Kraken), and then...

Transforming into a kraken is the most extreme manifestation of man who does not transcend his mother's fear. It's like Norman Bates, from Psycho, he's the classic case of when a man becomes the monster he should fight within himself.
In most cases, a mother whose fear is very strong in a child is usually the overprotective one, or the "tiger mom" who transfers her childish desires onto the child. Most of the time the boy is raised in an overprotected or ultra-compact bubble, in which he is unable to escape and develop.
The boy, in the end, doesn't leave the place, he becomes a child, incapable of solving his own problems.
The son held back by maternal fear does not leave his place, what is the power of the medusa?
Petrified is the child, petrified is the man.
Other than that, it's either overcoming or the extreme case, as I said above.

One of Carl Jung's students, a Jewish one, was seriously over-emphasizing mommy issues and wrote books about it. They are dealing mostly with mythology and religions, and he introduces general concepts of human consciousness along the way.

I remember they were cool, but not much beyond that. Should probably re-read them.

Maha Kali, dark mother dance for me
Let the purity of your nakedness awaken me
Yours are the fires of deliverance which shall bring me bliss
Yours is the cruel sword which shall set my spirit free

Devourer of life and death who rule beyond time
In thy name I shall fullfil my destiny divine
Maha Kali, formless one, destroyer of illusion
Your songs forever sung, the tunes of dissolution

Kalika, black tongue of fire, embrace me
Make me one with your power for all eternity
Awaken within me the reflection of your flame
Kiss me with your bloody lips and drive me insane

The guy shot his brains out at 33 yo

One of Carl Jung's students, a Jewish one, was seriously over-emphasizing mommy issues and wrote books about it. They are dealing mostly with mythology and religions, and he introduces general concepts of human consciousness along the way.

I remember they were cool, but not much beyond that. Should probably re-read them.

The guy shot his brains out at 33 yo
I'm still starting to study this. I always knew that mythology talked a lot about human nature, but I hardly stopped to read about the subject.
I started with Jung's book "Man and His Symbols". I intend to read the red book later.

Back
Top Bottom